In 2020, the chapter will award three scholarships: The Eleanor Todd Aviation Scholarship, The Orange County 99s Aviation Scholarship honoring Vicky Anderson and The Orange County 99s Aviation Scholarship honoring Shirley Tanner.
The scholarships are to be used by the recipients towards an advanced rating or training to further their pursuit in aviation. Each scholarship is $3,000 and can be applied towards Private Pilot Certificate, advanced ratings or towards Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) advancement. If there are no applicants for the A&P advancement scholarship, it may be awarded to flight training at the discretion of the scholarship committee.
The Orange County Chapter of the Ninety-Nines International Organization of Women Pilots is offering up to three scholarships to local women. The number of scholarships awarded is dependent upon the amount of funding available.
Click here to download the Orange County 99s Aviation Scholarship application:
- Applicant must have been a member of the Ninety-Nines for at least 3 months and membership must be current. Membership must be in effect with 99s International by February 15th of the current year.
- The applicant must have a current FAA medical certificate, if required, appropriate to the rating she seeks.
- The applicant must train within 55 miles of KSNA.
- If the applicant is seeking a rating or certificate grade higher than Private Pilot, she must have a current flight review or equivalent and have all rating prerequisites to the rating she seeks.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years old; there is no maximum age limit.
- The applicant must be proficient in English as per the Federal Aviation Regulations.
- Applicant must submit and sign the scholarship application and the scholarship award attestation.
- Applications must be receivedby midnight on the application deadline, May 15th of the current year.
- The scholarship award must be used for the purpose specified in the scholarship application.
- If the award is to be used for flight training, it must be used at a certified flight school or through a certified flight instructor approved by the scholarship committee.
The application must be completed and submitted in full as stated below. Applications which are incomplete will be disqualified.
Application must be typed or printed legibly.
Send the application as a PDF (one file) to: OCNinetyNines@Gmail.com
Note: Please submit emailed documents in PDF and Word formats (Google Drive documents are not acceptable).
Contact the scholarship committee at OCNinetyNines@Gmail.com with any questions regarding the application process.
All applications must be signed and receivedby midnight on May 15th of the current year.
The applications will be judged based on the applicant’s:
- Activities and commitment to the 99s
- Activities and commitment to aviation
- Ability to reach goals
- Letter of recommendation
- Personal essay
- As the recipient, you must complete the rating or training appropriate to your award within one year of the award date. Special adverse circumstances will be considered if this goal is not met.
- If your progress is not acceptable to the Orange County 99s scholarship committee, all funds paid toward achieving your rating must be reimbursed to the Orange County 99s Scholarship fund within 60 days of that decision.
- $500 of the award may be paid directly to the recipient.
- The next $1,000 will be paid directly to your certified flight school or approved certified flight instructor.
- Receipts showing progress of training and signed by both recipient and instructor must be submitted via email (OCninetynines@gmail.com) to the scholarship committee before further funds are awarded.
- Receipts showing completion of training and signed by both student (recipient) and instructor must be submitted to the scholarship committee within one year of the award date.
- Scholarships will be awarded at the Orange County 99s Pilot of the Year Banquet in June.
- The recipient will be asked to attend an Orange County Chapter 99s meeting to report on the progress toward her goal, or to submit a written report if unable to attend.
- Recipients will be asked to submit an article about their training progress to our OC 99s newsletter (Plane Tales) at OCNinetyNines@Gmail.com.